- The amount of output per unit of input (labor, equipment, and capital). There are many different ways of measuring productivity. For example, in a factory productivity might be measured based on the number of hours it takes to produce a good, while in the service sector productivity might be measured based on the revenue generated by an employee divided by his/her salary.
- Relative measure of the efficiency of a person, machine, factory, system, etc., in converting inputs into useful outputs. Computed by dividing average output per period by the total costs incurred or resources (capital, energy, material, personnel) consumed in that period, productivity is a critical determinant of cost efficiency.
- General: Measure of excellence or state of being free from defects, deficiencies, and significant variations. The totality of features and characteristics of a product or service that bears its ability to satisfy stated or implied needs.
- Manufacturing: Strict and consistent adherence to measurable and verifiable standards to achieve uniformity of output that satisfies specific customer or user requirements.
- Objective: Measurable and verifiable aspect of a thing or phenomenon, expressed in numbers or quantities, such as lightness or heaviness, thickness or thinness, softness or hardness.
- Subjective: Attribute, characteristic, or property of a thing or phenomenon that can be observed and interpreted, and may be approximated (quantified) but cannot be measured, such as beauty, feel, flavor, taste.
People often compare quantity with quality but I prefer to compare quality with the core of quantity which is productivity. Quantity come after productivity, so it is best for us to compare productivity with quality. It is undeniable to say that quality is important to everyone. People expect a very quality life and a lots more quality in their life. But to find quality in life is just another concept of needs and wants that I will explain later.
Quality can be achieve through productivity if the production can ensure the product being produce achieve a certain level that fulfill the requirement that have been set. It is often said that things which is produced in large number are low quality product. That have been the reason why people often compare quantity with quality. Another wrong concept that people always set in their mind is that they should always seek quality more than quantity. I beg to differ that statement. Everything in life should always be flexible at all times to ensure survival of the fittest. Same goes here,quality and quantity depends on the situation.