Saturday, June 19, 2010

Weird Censorships

One of the song that will be played in the morning is Hey Soul Sister by Train. I personally don’t like the song because it’s to vanilla for my taste. But having listen to the song for about 2 weeks now I can’t help but notice the two censored parts of the song. In Malaysia when they censor songs, they either delete the singing track or fuck it up in such a way that it would sound like it’s being played in reverse. Don’t get me? Ok do you remember this one part in Exorcist where Father Karras recorded Reagan’s voice during an exorcism? The censored track on Hey Soul Sister sounded a little bit like that. On a side note I find it funny that when they censored song on radio they only make it sound“satanic” instead of cleaner. I find this quite amusing.

This got me thinking. What on earth did the blokes from Train sang about that is so offensive for radio play? Here is the lyrics as heard on the radio

“I'm so obsessed, my heart is bound to beat right out my untrimmed chest
I believe in you, like a KWOKWOKWOK, you're Madonna”

Now take guess what’s the missing word here? Is it;

A) FUCK YOU IN THE NOSE HOLE
B) SHIT FACE COCK MASTER
C) JESUS
D) MOHAMMED
E) VIRGIN

The answer is actually E . Yes ladies and gents, the word VIRGIN is now a dirty word according to the chaps who censor board. You can’t make a pop reference to a song recorded by Madonna 20 years ago for it is offensive! This is doubly weird because Like A Virgin was played quite regularly on radio when it was released way back when I was still a virgin! Where is the logic behind this censorship? Can anyone come out with an answer?

Later on they censored the lyric again. This time around they censored the word DRUG from;

“The way you can cut a rug, watching you's the only drug I need”

Fair enough that drug reference is still taboo in Malaysia. So I’ll let this one slide.

The history of song censorship is not exactly recent nor is it consistent. The very first song that I remember being censored is Bohemian Rhapsody. The “Bismallah We will not let you go” part is usally skipped over and you get straight to the kick ass Brian Mayguitar solo. I actually grew up in the 80’s thinking that this is THE actual version of the song! Stupido!

Anyways not all censorship is bad. Sometimes it makes a mediocre song become bad ass.

click here for full story




1 comments:

raar